AMDA Acceptance Rate – All You Need to Know for Admission: For those students planning to enroll in American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA), this is the article for you. The college offers diverse degrees including Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, and Associate of Occupational Studies, and more.
If you want to know of admission possibilities into this best college for performing arts in the U.S., read ahead.
About the University
- The campuses at AMDA have scored top marks from various organizations. This includes Niche, which has listed the college among the best colleges, ranked the New York site No. 4.
- There are campuses for the college both in New York City and Los Angeles
- The state-of-the-art programs of AMDA have drawn the attention of many students across the United States and throughout the world.
- It has been recognized for its rich history of more than 50 years
- And it is well-known for successful career launches in film, theater, television, and media.
- AMDA delivers unparalleled training and education for the aspirants such as actors, singers, dancers, and versatile artists.
- AMDA supports students with generous partial scholarships. Also, the college grants to talented as well as academically qualified students.
AMDA (American Musical Dramatic Academy) Acceptance Rate
AMDA acceptance rate is 44.4% in 2023.
To be noted, the acceptance rate is not very high, but relatively low. Typically you need a high level of awareness to assess the true competition level. And it is difficult to predict admission into the college only based on the acceptance rate.
The above acceptance rate is the lowest one in the overall country, which ranks 182nd overall, and holds 27th in New York City.
For the year 2020, AMDA received nearly 7700 applications, out of which 2400 were accepted, showing an acceptance rate of 30%.
The following are the requirements needed to get into AMDA.
- Students applying should be at least 16 years old
- Have to be in the final 2 years of secondary education/high school
- If applied through any of the partners of the Academy, then you need not to apply again through the web portal of AMDA
- Applications are accepted from both CommonApp and Royal VIP
Below Are Required for A Successful Application to AMDA
- Online application has to be done through CommonApp or school website or Royal VIP
- Application fee of $25
- Academic records or transcripts
- Recommendation letters
- Personal essay
Eligibility for AMDA
Highly motivated, serious and responsible students are considered for admissions.
- All the entering students are expected to have completed a GED program or a high school diploma
- Minimum GPA (Grade Point Average) requirement is 2.0 or above
- Evaluation of the candidate is done individually
- Assessment will be done based on dramatic ability or potential, readiness, and academic qualifications.
- Applicants can seek admission for the first year in the winter or Fall term
Key Academic Stats
|Highest degree offered
|Total number of students
|Total number of undergrads
Areas of Study at AMDA
- Music Theatre
- Acting for camera
- Dance Theatre
- Performing Arts, Theatre Arts.
Types of Programs offered
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Associate of occupational studies
AMDA Tuition and Fees
|Student activity fee
|$9,990 (for off-campus)
|Overall Estimated Cost = $61,310
Pell Grants and other Grant Aid
All American Musical and Dramatic Academy students (100%) obtained their grant aid for the year 2019-2020.
- Average overall aid amount was $11,794
- Almost 42% of students got their Pell grants from the U.S. Federal Government
- The Pell Grant awarded on average for 2019/2020 was $4,992.
How to apply for a Pell Grant for attending American Musical and Dramatic Academy?
The foremost step is to fill out FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid
AMDA GPA Requirement
AMDA GPA Requirement is 2.0, based on a 4.0 scale. The Academy need not expect students to be the topper of classes; they also accept below-average performing students.
AMDA SAT Requirement
The admissions for AMDA do not need the submission of SAT scores.
AMDA ACT Requirement
The Academy doesn’t need the submission of ACT scores.
The test results that the students submit will be considered.
Admissions Statistics for Fall 2021
The Academy has rolling admissions. This means AMDA accepts students’ admissions throughout the year. The recommendation from the academy is to finish the application file no later than 60 to 90 days from the intended start date.
What is truly important when applying to AMDA?
Essential Academic Factors
|Secondary School Record
|Standardized Test Scores (SAT, ACT, etc.)
|Formal Demonstration of Competencies
|TOEFL – English test score
|Other Tests (Wonderlic, WISC-III, etc.)
Credits Accepted By the Academy
- Advanced Placement (AP) Courses – Yes
- Life Experience Credits – Yes
- Dual-Credit Classes – Yes
Steps to Apply to AMDA
- Submit the application
- Schedule the audition at AMDA
- Have a phone interview with an Admission Officer
- Submission of Essay
- Sending your recommendation letter
- Submit your academic records and transcripts
Similar Schools & Ranking
Juilliard School is an established performing arts school. It has 38th rank out of 92 colleges & universities based on the ranking of EduRank of New York City schools.
AMDA is 52nd on the same list.
The American Musical and Dramatic Academy is an ideal institution for those who are passionate about building careers in film, theatre, and television. All those who get admission into the academy will have the benefits of experienced teaching, well-rounded education, and small batch sizes.
If you are considering having a brilliant profession in performing arts, this is the right academy for you. We hope the above information will help you in making successful admission into AMDA.
Since Villanova University is selective every year, be cautious of good SAT/ACT scores, and a 4.0 weighted GPA to stand out for admission.